Monday, July 14, 2008

Fifth Stop: Venice – In my ancestors’ footsteps... (May 29th to June 1st)


A branch of my mother’s family lived in Venice until the second half of the 19th Century. So for me, touring the streets and the canals in Venice had a very profound meaning. I felt very excited to be there, and in a way, I felt a special connection to this city. I looked for my great-great grandfather’s birth certificate, but the Historic Archive Office had closed for the weekend. So we went back to the tourist attractions, starting with a visit to the Murano Island, famous for its glass factories and the demonstrations by their glass blowers.

Venice is the most romantic place I have ever been to. Everything seems to be stuck in time here. Forget about the fast-paced Roman life and city sounds. Here both locals and tourists take it easy and relax. Every turn you make you see a breath-taking scene. You can both walk or navigate through the city. We took our time, enjoyed the views, the food, and the local atmosphere. It was like living in a dream. We could not leave Venice without taking a gondola ride... singing by the gondola driver included...

Francesco and Alessandra Algisi, our good friends from Weston, FL live now in Milan. They came to spend Saturday afternoon with us and treated us to dinner. Thanks Francesco and Alessandra! We loved catching up with you!

No comments: